Start your Sidecar / Trike training off with the
S/TEP Basic Course
The 16-hour Basic S/TEP program is designed to provide the beginning 3-wheel rider with knowledge, confidence, and 3-wheel driving skills—practiced in a safe controlled environment. Schedules are set over a 2 or 2 1/2 days. Classroom sessions present text and lecture coupled with hands-on activities. Each classroom session is followed by time spent on the riding range practicing the new skills presented in the classroom. Under the direction of skilled instructors, each student is coached through maneuvers until both student and instructor are satisfied with the progress. Students will be trained using ESC training rigs (sidecars, trikes, Spyder) or students are encouraged to use their own trike or sidecar with proof of insurance. Students will take a written and skills test during the course, the successful completion of this course enables riders to receive their Washington 3-wheel motorcycle endorsement with no further testing at the Washington DOL.
Note: If providing your own trike or sidecar you need to complete the T-CLOC form and bring it with you to class.
You must have an endorsement or instructional permit to legally ride your motorcycle to class or a testing session.
$325 (regular price, non-subsidized)
Washington State subsidizes many of our classes for state residents:
$125 (Washington State subsidized)
Please have your driver’s license number and date of birth handy for subsidized class registrations. Additional classes have been added at the regular fee to meet demand. Other than price and availability, all classes are identical.
- Washington Drivers License <18 years old – $50
- Washington Drivers License – $125
- Non Washington Drivers License – $325
- Non-Sub Fee (regardless of age and DL#) – $325.
All students MUST bring to the range:
- DOT-approved helmet (ESC provides helmets at all its sites. However, students are encouraged to bring their own if they own a DOT approved helmet)
- Eye protection (eyeglasses, sunglasses, face shield, or goggles)
- Sturdy over-the-ankle footwear that provides ankle support and protection from heat and moving parts. Most work type boots and hiking boots work well, but canvas high-tops or slip-on-boots with elastic (only) ankle covering ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE
- Full-fingered leather gloves with a sturdy palm of leather or leather like material
- Long sleeve shirt or jacket
- Long STURDY denim pants or jeans with NO holes or tears that allow any skin to be exposed
- Rain gear if necessary (class will continue during rain)
- Sun block, as needed
- Snacks and lunch, and non-alcoholic beverages
Terms and Conditions
- Provide proper riding gear
- Be on time. Students arriving late to any portion of the class will not be allowed to participate and will not be refunded or rescheduled
- To cancel and receive a refund or transfer, students must notify ESC at least 6 business days before the start of the class
- If class is cancelled by ESC, a full refund will be issued or the class will be rescheduled (classes are held rain or shine)
Refunds/Transfers are not allowed if a student
- Cancels less than 6 business days prior to class
- Fails to attend the scheduled class
- Arrives late to any portion of the class or practice and is not allowed to participate
- Is dismissed by the instructor