DOL Testing FAQ’s
The DOL isn’t and hasn’t been real equipped to handle skills testing properly. They haven’t been able to have the pavement to test the best skills needed to be a competent rider. The Washington Legislators passed House Bill 1635 authorizing DOL to have motorcycle testing conducted at Motorcycle Trainings Schools who already have the pavement surface.
Taken separately, each test (written and skills) is $50 each.
Each test takes about 1 hour.
Walk-in knowledge testing is available Monday – Friday 9am – 4pm at our Totem Lake location. Skills testing will be scheduled throughout the week and on weekends, location may vary.
We will be using our ranges at Totem Lake, Kirkland, West Seattle, Kent and Renton. (No after market pipes are allowed at the Kirkland and West Seattle locations.)
You can register online or you can call us at 425-814-3868 and register over the phone with a debit/credit card.
- Testers under 18 years old need to take a motorcycle safety class to get their endorsement
- Testers 16 years old and older can take the knowledge test.
- Testers under 18 years old can take the knowledge test and go into the DOL to get a permit to practice riding.
- Testers under 18 years old can take the skills test but they cannot get their endorsement until they take the motorcycle safety class.
- You will take the test on your own motorcycle. The bike must have good tires and good brakes, no leaking fluids and be street legal (plates and registration).
- Government issued ID
If you show up without a good working bike and/or proper gear, you will be turned away and will have to pay a $50 fee to reschedule.
You are required to wear a DOT approved helmet and have eye protection (eye glasses, face shield or goggles).
We strongly recommend that you wear:
- Long pants – jeans
- Sturdy over the ankle boots
- Full finger leather gloves
- Long sleeves shirt or jacket
- Rain gear and/or sunblock as needed
Yes – the written test can be done in Spanish.
Yes – if you cancel at least 1 business day prior to the test there will be a $15 administration fee to reschedule. If you do not provide at least 1 business day notice, there is no refund or reschedule. You will need to pay again to take the test(s).
Once you passed the knowledge (pink) and/or skills (green) testing, you will receive a colored slip to take to the Department Of Licensing (DOL) and they will issue you:
- A permit if you only passed the written test
- An endorsement if you passed the written and skills test
You will need to wait at least 24 hours to schedule a time to re-test (DOL requirement) and pay a $50 re-test fee.
No, you need to come prepared. If you think you need practice, consider taking one of our motorcycle safety training classes where you get to practice and take both the written and skills test at the end.
You can still take the skills test. Keep in mind that the knowledge test is valid for 180 days and you may be required to take another knowledge test.
Yes, tests can be taken in any order. However, in order to receive your endorsement, both knowledge and skills test must be completed within 180 days by presenting both pink and green slips to the DOL office.