S/TEP Rider Courses

How long is the course?

The Basic S/TEP class is about 16 hours in length, and is structured for the beginner. The Advanced S/TEP class is about 8 hours and designed for riders with previous sidecar/trike riding experience.

When are classes held?

Seattle: We are only able to offer weekend S/TEP classes.
Kirkland: We are able to offer Weekend and Weekday S/TEP classes.

What do I need for class?

  • DOT-approved helmet (we have a limited supply of helmets on hand).
  • Protective eyewear (sunglasses, prescription glasses, safety goggles, or a face shield).
  • Full-fingered gloves.
  • Protective clothing (covering arms and legs).
  • Weather-appropriate clothing (be prepared for inclement conditions).
  • Sturdy, over-the-ankle boots, preferably with a small heel (e.g., work, hiking, or motorcycle-specific) are required. Tennis shoes or shoes made with cloth or canvas are not acceptable.

Do you furnish the rigs?

For the Basic S/TEP class:
Seattle and Kirkland: Yes, we have Trikes, CanAm Spyders and Sidecar rigs available for students to use during the Basic S/TEP classes. However, if the student wants to use their own rig it is encouraged, assuming they have a safe way of transporting it to the range and can provide proof of insurance.

For the Advanced S/TEP class:
No. Students in the Advanced S/TEP class will use their own rig.

For both classes:
If you bring your own sidecar combination, you must have at least 50 pounds of removable ballast in the sidecar for the first day’s riding exercises. (A sandbag, available at your local hardware store, is a good option.) You must also provide proof of liability insurance.

You must have an endorsement or instructional permit to legally ride your motorcycle to class or a testing session.

What does the class get me?

Graduates will receive a WMSP course completion card that will allow them to receive their three-wheel motorcycle endorsement at the DOL within 180 days after graduating. Some insurance companies are also offering discounted rates with proof of successful completion of this course.

Do I need a motorcycle learner’s permit to take the S/TEP class?

No, you don’t need a motorcycle learner’s permit for the Basic S/TEP course, but you do have to be at least 15 years old and have a valid driving permit or driver’s license. (It doesn’t have to be a Washington State license.)

What happens if I have to cancel or don’t show up for class?

Refunds are only authorized if you let us know at least six full business days prior to the class.

Can I just drop in for a class?

At the instructor’s discretion, you may drop in for a class if the class is not full or if one of the registered students doesn’t show up on time. You will be required to pay the full tuition at that time.

If you are registered for a later class and are attempting to drop in on an earlier class, you must pay at the time of the “drop in”, and then call the Evergreen Safety Council to cancel the later class and obtain a refund.

Don’t you have an earlier class?

We enroll students “first come, first served” basis in the earliest open training slot. We offer this class as often as is possible based on classroom/range and instructor availability.

Do you offer classes in any other locations?

We offer S/TEP classes at our Seattle and Kirkland locations only. S/TEP classes are offered nationally at several locations in different areas of the country. Please refer to the national schedule for a complete listing.

Do I have to have an endorsement?

Washington residents must have a three-wheel endorsement on their license to legally operate a sidecar, trike or Spyder on the road.


Stay in the Loop

We'll share important information on the topics that matter to you!

Choose your areas of interest so that you will receive the information you need the most.