Intermediate Rider Training
Intermediate Rider Training
The Intermediate Rider Training (IRT) is an 8-hour course that enables those who successfully complete it (passing both written and skills test) to receive their Washington Motorcycle Safety Program Completion Card which is a waiver of further testing at the Washington DOL when they go to add the 2-wheel motorcycle endorsement to their Washington Driver’s License. This course is designed specifically for riders who are:
- over 16 years old
- experienced with riding motorcycles, but have no endorsement
- or returning to riding after a break of several years, but have retained the riding skills and knowledge to successfully complete the course.
Students will ride ESC bikes in this course (those returning to the sport without personal bikes will find this is a perfect class for them). Classroom instruction in street strategies and mental preparedness for safe motorcycling is combined with range exercises that cover cornering/swerving/stopping/hazard avoidance.
We are happy to provide you with a wide selection of motorcycles for this course, but cannot guarantee a specific type of motorcycle to one person or that these bikes will be at a specific range. The motorcycles we have are 125cc and 250cc’s.
- Cruiser bikes: Suzuki GZ250’s, Honda Rebel 250’s, Yamaha Virago’s, and Kawasaki Eliminators.
- Dual sport bikes: Yamaha WR250r, TW200, KLX250sf, DR200, and Yamaha XT225
- Standard and sport bikes: Kawasaki Ninja 250 and Honda Nighthawk 250.
- Scooters: Vino 125’s, Vespa 150’s, and Zuma 50. We have a limited number of scooters so you must request them in advance!!!
Washington State subsidizes many of our classes for state residents ($125). Please have your driver’s license number and date of birth handy for subsidized class registrations. Additional classes have been added at a higher fee to meet demand ($225-$250). Other than price and availability, all classes are identical.
Washington Drivers License under 18 – $50
Washington Drivers License – $125
Non-Washington Drivers License – $200
Non-Sub Fee (regardless of age and DL) – $200.
All students must bring to the range:
- DOT-approved helmet (ESC provides helmets at all its sites. However, students are encouraged to bring their own if they own a DOT approved helmet)
- Eye protection (eyeglasses, sunglasses, face shield or goggles)
- Sturdy over-the-ankle footwear that provide ankle support and protection from heat and moving parts. Most work type boots and hiking boots work well.(ie…canvas high-tops or slip-on-boots with elastic (only) ankle covering ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE)
- Full-fingered leather gloves with a sturdy palm of leather or leather like material.
- Long sleeve shirt or jacket
- Long STURDY denim pants or jeans with NO holes or tears that allow any skin to be exposed.
- Rain gear (Class will continue during rain)
- Sun block, as needed
- Snacks and/or lunch, and non-alcoholic beverages
Terms and Conditions
- Be able to shift, turn and effectively use the clutch.
- Be able to pass a screening exercise. If you fail the exercise you will be dismissed with no refund.
- Provide proper riding gear.
- Be on time. Students arriving late to class will not be allowed to participate.
- To cancel and receive a refund or transfer, students must notify ESC at least 6 business days before the start of the class.
- If class is cancelled by ESC, a full refund will be issued or the class will be rescheduled (classes are held rain or shine.)
Refunds/Transfers are not allowed if a student
- Cancels less than 6 business days prior to class.
- Fails to attend the scheduled class.
- Arrives late to class or practice and is not allowed to participate.
- Is dismissed by the instructor.