Motorcycle Safety Training
Facebook Twitter Blogspot

S/TEP Rider FAQ’s 

S/TEP Rider FAQ’s

How long is the course?

The Basic S/TEP class is approximately 16 hours in length, and is structured for the beginner. The Advanced S/TEP class is 8 hours and designed for riders with previous sidecar/trike riding experience.

How do I register for the class?

Students can register by phone or online using a credit/debit card, mail in a check or money order, or come into our office. A student is not registered—and class availability isn’t guaranteed—until payment is received.

When are classes held?

Day Time
Friday 6:00pm–9:00pm
Saturday 8:00am*–12:00pm
(*7:30am during summer)
Sunday 8:00am*–2:30pm
(*7:30am during summer)

How much is the course fee?

  • Washington Drivers License <18 years old:  $50
  • Washington Drivers License:  $125
  • Non Washington Drivers License: $325
  • Non-Sub Fee (regardless of age and DL#) – $325.

What do I need for class?

  • DOT-approved helmet (we have a limited supply of helmets on hand).
  • Protective eyewear (sunglasses, prescription glasses, safety goggles, or a face shield).
  • Full-fingered gloves.
  • Protective clothing (covering arms and legs).
  • Weather-appropriate clothing (be prepared for inclement conditions).
  • Sturdy, over-the-ankle boots, preferably with a small heel (e.g., work, hiking, or motorcycle-specific) are required. (ie…canvas high-tops or slip-on-boots with elastic (only) ankle covering ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE).

Do you furnish the rigs?

For the Basic S/TEP class:
Seattle: Yes, we can supply the motorcycle/sidecar combination and a trike for the classes. However, if the student wants to use their own rig it is encouraged, assuming they have a safe way of transporting it to the range.

For the Advanced S/TEP class:
No. Students in the Advanced S/TEP class will use their own rig.

For both classes:
If you bring your own sidecar combination, you must have at least 50 pounds of removable ballast in the sidecar for the first day’s riding exercises. (A sandbag, available at your local hardware store, is a good option.) You must also provide proof of liability insurance.

What does the class get me?

Upon successful completion of the S/TEP course, you will receive a WMSP course completion card. This course satisfies the Department of Licensing requirements for a Type 5 (“three-wheel motorcycle only”) or a Type 7 (“two-wheel and three-wheel motorcycles”) license endorsement if you currently have a Type 3 (“two-wheel motorcycles only”) endorsement. Some insurance companies are also offering discounted rates with proof of successful completion of this course.

Do I need a motorcycle learner's permit to take the S/TEP class?

No, you don’t need a motorcycle learner’s permit for the Basic S/TEP course, but you do have to be at least 15 years old and have a valid driving permit or driver’s license. (It doesn’t have to be a Washington State license.)

What happens if I have to cancel or don't show up for class?

Refunds are only authorized if you let us know at least six full business days prior to the class.

Can I just drop in for a class?

At the instructor’s discretion, you may drop in for a class if there are fewer than 12 registered students in the class, or if one of the registered students doesn’t show up on time. You will be required to pay the full tuition at that time. If you have one, we recommend using your own rig for this class.

If you are registered for a later class and are attempting to drop in on an earlier class, you must pay at the time of the “drop in”, and then call the Evergreen Safety Council to cancel the later class and obtain a refund.

Don't you have an earlier class?

We enroll students “first come, first served” basis in the earliest open training slot. We offer this class as often as is possible based on classroom/range and instructor availability.

Do you offer classes in any other locations?

There are several other locations in different areas of the country. Refer to the national schedule for a complete listing.

Do I have to have an endorsement?

Washington residents must have an endorsement on their license to legally operate a sidecar or trike. This can be either a Type 5 endorsement (“three-wheel motorcycle only”) or a Type 7 endorsement (“two-wheel and three-wheel motorcycles”).

The Washington Type 5 license endorsement allows you to operate a three-wheel motorcycle with any size engine. A student who already has a Type 3 motorcycle endorsement will upon course completion receive a Type 7 endorsement, which combines the two-wheel and three-wheel motorcycle endorsements.